✌✌✌
I cannot describe how I am feeling.
I have been longlisted for the inaugural cycle of the Alhaji Arole Agarawu African Poetry Prize and shortlisted for the Samira Bawumia Literature Prize for Nonfiction. I do not know why I am so euphoric. Perhaps it is because I used to struggle to get published in journals and, as I said sometime back on X, I received 12 rejections in a day. Or probably because I can finally add something to my CV under awards and achievements.
Words cannot describe how seeing my name in the top 10 or seeing my name
among the top 30 has made me feel. For the Samira Bawumia Literature Prize, I
wrote an essay about how the loss of a father can lead to wrong decisions while
trying to picture the image of the father. This same piece has been rejected
numerous times, so I was genuinely surprised when the SBLP judges added it to
the shortlist.
Then, for the Poetry Prize, I was so happy to see my friend, Joel Oyeleke,
whom I met on X when I was struggling to publish. He would send me a few open
calls, read my work, and we would talk about how I come to Nigeria and never
try to see him. Plus I want a copy of his chapbook...
I do want to see you, Joel (soon, if my pocket allows for flights!)
I saw two Ghanaians I have seen before too, Daniel Naawenkangua Abukuri and
Edinam Denoo, whose works I have come across countless times. They have been
shortlisted for the Adinkra Poetry Prize and other prizes, so seeing their
names here made me smile.
As for Samuel Adeyemi, November Ends is going to be a favourite.
I have seen Kayode’s work too. Such an extraordinary writer.
I’m just happy to be here and to boost my CV, enter more residencies, probably
publish (we don’t know about that) and keep finding my way into places I once
thought were far away.
Most of all, thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you, thank you for the encouragement and the joy whenever I am down. Thank you
so much!!!!!!!!!!
Here’s to more!π₯




So happy to see my brother killing it!!!!
ReplyDeleteππΌππΌππΌππΌππΌππΌππΌ
ReplyDeleteSoar higher!
ReplyDeleteMore wins!
congratulation
ReplyDelete